The Myths of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate!!

What is it?

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a harsh (caustic) detergent. Also known as a surfactant, which breaks down the surface tension of water.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is used in concrete floor cleaners, engine degreasers, car wash detergents. Along with hundreds of personal care products including probably every major brand of toothpaste you can find.

Cosmetics and personal care products containing Sodium Lauryl Sulfate:

 

  • could keep children’s eyes from developing properly. Children under six are especially vulnerable to improper eye development;
  • can cause cataracts in adults and delay healing of wounds on the cornea;
  • can build up and cause major problems in the heart, liver, lungs and brain;
  • can cause roughness and flaking of the skin;
  • is a caustic cleanser that could corrode the hair;
  • is routinely used in clinical studies to deliberately irritate the skin so the effects of other substances can be tested.

A report from the Journal of the American College of Toxicology;

Vol. 2, No.7, 1983 states,

 

  • SLS is routinely used in clinical studies to irritate skin tissue.
  • SLS corrodes hair follicle and impairs ability to grow hair.
  • Carcinogenic Nitrates can form when SLS interacts with other nitrogen bearing ingredients.
  • SLS enters and maintains residual levels in the heart, liver, lungs and brain from skin contact. (Shampoos?)
  • SLS denatures protein, impairs proper structural formation of young eyes -damage permanent.
  • SLS can damage the immune system; cause separation of skin layers and cause to inflammation to the skin.

Many medications are now administered through patches on the skin or by placing drops under the tongue. Do you feel that it would be healthy to have chemicals such Propylene Glycol and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate making contact with your body multiple times a day?

It has been shown in most cases to be extremely dangerous to your health. The reason that these chemicals are being used in your personal care products is that they are extremely cheap to use and they have the illusion of being very effective. In most cases the cap on the bottle costs more than the ingredients inside.

Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS) is a white powder used as a detergent, emulsifier, and surfactant in over a thousand cosmetic products, including shampoos, toothpaste, lotions, and creams.

SLS is a strong degreaser that dries skin and hair. It is a primary irritant in high concentrations. SLS is used in many so-called “natural” cosmetics, but it is not natural. It is produced synthetically via the Ziegler process and not with coconut oil (i.e., sulfur trioxide or chlorosulfuric acid).

SLS has produced skin and hair damage, including cracking of the horny layer of the skin and a severe inflammation of the dermaepidermal tissue (“Denaturation of epidermal keratin by surface active agents, Journal Invest. Dermatology, 32:581, 1959).

The presence of natural ingredients make little difference in the irritating action of these synthetic detergents. Any cosmetic that contains sodium lauryl sulfate can’t be termed as natural, although many shampoos labeled as natural contain large amounts. Also, SLS is frequently combined with triethanolamine (TEA) which may be contaminated with nitrosamines, a potent carcinogen. (Natural Organic Hair and Skin Care, Hampton)

What can it do to us (MSDS)?

Potential Health Effects

Inhalation: Causes irritation to the respiratory tract. Symptoms may include coughing, shortness of breath. May cause allergic reaction in sensitive individuals.

Ingestion: Large does may cause gastrointestinal distress, nausea and diarrhea.

Skin Contact: Mildly irritating to skin, causes dryness and a rash on continued exposure. May cause allergic skin reactions.

Eye Contact: Causes irritation, redness, and pain.

Chronic Exposure: Chronic exposure may cause skin effects.

Aggravation of pre-existing conditions: Person with pre-existing skin disorders or impaired respiratory function may be more susceptible to the effects of the substance.

First Aid Measures:

Inhalation: Remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give ratification respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical attention.

Ingestion: Give large amounts of water to drink. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical attentions.

Skin Contact: Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medial attention. Wash clothing before reuse. Thoroughly clean shoes before reuse.

Eye Contact: Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, lifting lower and upper eyelids occasionally. Get medical attention immediately.

So please, please, please READ your ingredients if  you don’t want to use these types of products. The manufacturer’s will not change anything until WE the people REFUSE to buy their products and their sales start to slip!!!